What is Cyber Security?
Cyber security, which is sometimes also referred to as computer security or information technology (I.T) security consists of processes, technologies, and controls designed to protect networks, systems, devices, programs, and data from cyber-attacks. The objective of cyber security is to reduce the number, and the volume of risks from cyber-attacks, protect the networks, systems, devices, programs, and prevent the data from unauthorized exploitation and theft from the attackers.
In today’s world, the need for cyber security is significantly more than earlier due to the vast dependence on the internet, computer, mobile phones, systems, and networks. Now more than ever, since almost everything can be done virtually, cyber security is of utmost importance. It has become a challenge to ensure security due to its complex nature and dynamic technologies. That is why cyber security is gaining so much importance and opening up many career opportunities. It is a lucrative field, and hence learning more about cyber security becomes crucial and gives an edge to the individual in this field.
Due to their complex nature, almost all industries need cyber security, some more than others, especially finance, banking, military, Airline Industry, etc.
So, if you are interested in cybersecurity, several e-learning courses can help you pursue it from the comfort of your home. Many recognized programs provide Cyber security courses online with comprehensive coverage of information and application at affordable prices, along with their certifications.
Why is the Air Travel industry prone to cyber-attacks?
We know Cyber-attacks are not specific to the air travel industry, but the recent rise of such incidents and attacks poses a greater serious threat to the Aviation industry. These threats include loss of personal passenger data, credit card information, flight systems, terrorist attacks, etc. These attacks are well planned and highly sophisticated, so it becomes difficult to counter them. Attacks in one part of an area can also lead to vulnerabilities in other areas due to the increase in centralization and digitalization of processes and data. As most of the connectivity of airlines is based on radio wave signals, it is comparatively easier for the hackers to break into the system, and the storage of lots of personal data of customers and terrorism acts as a motivation for these hackers.
Reason for cyber-attacks:
The reason for cyber-attacks can range from mere thrill-seeking hackers to criminals looking for financial gain, spying, intelligence purpose, identity theft, terrorist activities, etc. The growth in the use of the internet and mobiles, the ease with which they are available, and the inexpensive nature have also contributed to these attacks.
Impact of Cyber-attacks:
The impact of these attacks can lead to financial losses, identity thefts, data & security breaches, confidentiality loss, system damage, political disruption, terrorist attacks, loss of lives, etc. Hence, it is clear that it can lead to serious damage. Hence, it becomes essential to have control measures to prevent such attacks and continuously improve cyber security.
How does the Air Travel Industry use Cyber Security?
Improving cyber security means developing processes, systems, techniques, and controls to reduce or eliminate the risk of threats attacks. To minimize damage and make it easier to discover an attack, corrective action can be taken as soon as possible.
Some of the measures that the Aviation Industry uses are as follows;
- Securing Operating Systems- Implementing secure operating systems can go a long way in protecting against these attacks. Various systems are developed as per security standards to prevent breaches.
- Standardization of procedures- Standardizing processes systems and ensuring rules and regulations are in place and compliance enables good governance.
- Secure Coding- Secure Coding refers to coding the system from the base itself, which would guard against potential attacks.
- Security by design- The system’s design is developed to reduce vulnerabilities from the start. This can be done through automated theorem, unit testing, code reviews, etc.
- Risk assessment- Assessing the airline’s risks and coming up with solutions to reduce or mitigate such risks and fill the gaps in the security system.
- Network Security- Implementing security measures at the network level is of utmost importance to block the hackers from entering the network itself and block any unauthorized or foreign intruder.
- Protection of Hardware- This is because hardware can be very easily attacked or introduced to viruses and threats, for example, by way of pen-drives, micro-chips, dongles, etc. Therefore, it becomes crucial to protect hardware systems. One way of protection is to disable the ports to prevent viruses. Another way is the installation of applications designed to scan these external devices, but this could be comparatively less secure.
- Security Training to the user- The user must be given security training because most of the time, it is the user’s fault due to which attacks happen in the first place. For example, creating poor passwords, clicking on fake URLs or websites or dangerous links, sending confidential data to the wrong person, etc.
- Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS) – Intrusion Detection Systems help detect attacks and after the attacks to recover and minimize the loss.
- Install software like Anti-malware, Anti-virus, Parental control, Firewalls, etc.
Hence, it is vital to implement and maintain governance of Security measures.
Today, Cyber Security is considered one of the most emerging fields in the Aviation industry. Many institutes in India and abroad provide various cyber security degree programs at the convenience of your home. Some Airlines require a master’s degree, which these institutes also provide. advanced cyber security courses from Great Learning to give yourself an edge in this competitive industry. Airline Industry is undoubtedly an exciting industry, and you can make a brilliant career in this industry in the cyber security field with the right courses.