Online gaming is not all about your gaming skills or your pricy gaming systems. Having a good internet connection is what should be your supreme priority – any gamers’ in that matter. It’s the latency that makes the internet value for money enabling them the uninterrupted gaming sessions or a nightmare for gamers where they regret investing in that particular ISP at every lag.
That being said, in this article, we will share some information and handy tips to improve your internet connection for gaming. However, even if you follow all the tips from the internet and hacks, investing in a reliable ISP and high-speed internet connection should be your top priority. We can recommend Spectrum Internet based on its diverse range of internet plans that are suitable for all kinds of households, gamers, and anyone with budget limitations. You will love no-contract, free installation, and free antivirus service on top.
Now, without wasting any time, let’s dive into details of what latency is and how you can avoid it for a better gaming experience.
What is latency?
For those who do not know – latency is the time taken to travel by data signals from your device to the server and again back to your device. When playing an online game, you will see a figure written with “ms” which is known as ping. If you have a reliable internet connection, your ping will be from 20 ms to 120 ms. It means you will enjoy an enhanced gaming experience.
What factors increase the latency?
If you think high-speed internet is what you need to lower the latency, then you do not have enough knowledge about latency and the internet. Many factors are contributing to the increased latency.
- First and foremost is the hardware which includes equipment, tools, type of the internet, etc. Check your hardware equipment if your internet is going through high latency problems.
- Another factor that changes the game is the distance. The more the distance between you and your service provider, the higher the latency will be.
What is the solution to high latency internet connection?
First of all, you have to ensure that your internet package comes with a decent speed which should be at least 15 Mbps and bandwidth. If you are the only one using your internet connection, bandwidth will not matter usually unless the connection is really bad. However, if you have multiple users, you will have to use the internet with higher bandwidths. In addition to this, you will have to consider high bandwidths if you are a professional gamer or streamer.
Following are the tips to lower the latency of your internet connection:
- When playing games, do not run any extra app in the background that consumes the internet. It will help lower the latency of your internet connection and improve your gaming experience.
- Check for the devices connected to your internet. If your mobile phones and laptops are connected and you are not using them at that time, disconnect them. It will free up the additional bandwidth that your gaming device will utilize now to provide you with the best gaming experience.
- Make sure you have the Wi-Fi router in your room. It is because the distance from your Wi-Fi device will decrease the signal strength and hurt the connectivity. If the router is a few rooms away from you, in a box, covered in furniture, and far from all the connected devices, the internet speed you will experience will be extremely low, and the latency will be high. Therefore, you have to ensure the placement and positioning of your router increase the performance and not otherwise.
The Bottom-line is:
While it all comes down to the internet service provider and the package you choose for yourself, you can use the information and tips shared above which we hope will be quite helpful. Do try the steps we have mentioned, and you will notice an improvement in your internet performance.
As said earlier, If nothing works, call customer support to guide you and help you through. If the issue still prevails, we would not recommend you to pay for something that is not worth it.
Switch to another high-speed internet that makes your gaming experience better and more interesting without putting a dent in your bank. You can start your research by visiting localcabledeal – it is a one-stop shop for all the best ISPs in the US. You can find one and compare it with all the other services in your area, based on your zip code. You can choose any internet service provider that offers high speed if you want to play games. Moreover, you can mention what kind of usage you have to the sales rep, and he or she will suggest to you the packages that will be according to your usage.